Saturday, January 14, 2012

To the ENT again??

So, for the last few months every single time Andrew gets a little cold or something minor he complains that his ears hurt and he gets really fussy. A month ago I ended up taking him to the chiropractor hoping that maybe his neck was just out of whack or something. I ended up taking him for three different adjustments and the chiro seemed to think that he should be ok.

Well, his last adjustment was on Tuesday. After walking outside Thursday for my Grandma's funeral when it was so windy and cold that we could barely breathe, we're all fighting colds this weekend. But today Andrew woke up from his nap crying and said that his ears hurt. I sat down with him in the recliner and snuggled with him for a little bit and he just couldn't stop crying. He eventually covered both of his ears with his hands and said that his ears hurt. Of course he would get a double ear infection on Saturday afternoon when my only options are the urgent care clinic or the ER.

Against my first intuition I decided to take him to Ames because it was open longer. I dropped Evan off with my parents and headed to Ames. We get there only to find out that they are by appointment only whereas the one in Ankeny is just a walk-in clinic. And of course since I hadn't tried to call ahead for an appointment they couldn't get us in. My next thought was the ER. But then I'm wondering if we really need an ER visit for an ear infection. By this point Andrew was no longer crying, and when I asked him if his ears hurt sometimes he'd say he was fine and other times he'd say yes.

Finally a light bulb went off. I decided to call our regular family doctor's office to page the on-call doctor. And as luck would have it, our doctor was on-call this weekend. So she called me back and I told her what was going on. Thankfully she is very familiar with Andrew's almost life-long chronic ear infections. So she quickly called in a prescription for us.

Now the problem is, I need to call our ENT's office and get Andrew in for an appointment. Because if he's getting this fluid backed up whenever he gets a little cold, then his ears still aren't draining right. His first set of tubes fell out back around September. And after only about a month of them being gone we started to notice he was getting fussy and uncomfortable again. I tried the chiropractor to hopefully avoid getting another set of tubes, but it's not really looking like that's going to work. :( Poor guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment