Thursday, January 12, 2012

MIA

Sorry I've totally been MIA for almost two weeks. Things have just been crazy. A week ago my mom told me that my Grandma was being put on oxygen to try to help her breath a little better. And she asked for more pain meds. She had a DNR order-do not resuscitate-but they gave her oxygen to try to help her breath easier and the pain meds were just to keep her comfortable. By Friday afternoon things were looking pretty bleak. Saturday evening I got a text from my Aunt at 7pm saying that the doctors weren't expecting Grandma to make it to 11pm. Her breathing had gotten very labored and she was in a lot of pain. They were giving her pain meds constantly and in all forms they could get it into her body. But it unfortunately wasn't helping as much as they'd have liked. My mom called me at just a little after 9 Saturday night and told me that she had passed. While I was and am obviously upset that she passed, I'm also thankful that she is at peace, isn't in pain anymore, and that she went so quickly. It would have been so much harder if she had suffered for days and weeks, instead of just a couple of days.

I guess I could give a little back story. In July my Grandma Maguire-my mom's mom and last living Grandparent-was diagnosed with Stage 4 breast cancer, and by the time they found it it had already spread pretty much all over her body. She was moved to a nursing home so that she'd be able to be monitored 24/7 because she was a diabetic who was 80 years old and her vision was quickly declining. So she'd been under Doctor care since July and we knew that her time left was very limited.

This definitely makes me thankful that I took the time to take the boys up to visit her in the nursing home a few months ago. And that I remembered my camera. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment