Buttermilk Onion Rings
3 C buttermilk
1 C flour-plus another 1 C or more for dredging
1 large white onion-a big round one works best, avoid the flat-ish ones.
4 C vegetable oil, for frying
Salt, and freshly ground pepper
In a medium bowl whisk together the buttermilk and flour.
Slice the onion crosswise into slices, I like to make mine really thin but obviously the width is totally up to you. Carefully separate slices into rings.
Put the rings into the buttermilk mixture and push them down into the mixture to cover evenly. Cover the bowl and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 12 hours. I usually like to get these marinating at least 6 to 7 hours before dinner. The longer the rings sit in the buttermilk the better!
Pour oil into a heavy, deep pot and heat over medium-high heat until it registers 350.
Spread flour on a plate, to make less of a mess I like to use a smaller baking dish like a 9x9 or similar. Season with salt and pepper, I am very generous with the seasoning because it helps make them awesome! Lift rings from buttermilk and dredge one at a time in the flour turning to coat evenly. Fry rings 2 or 3 at a time, turning once, for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until lightly golden brown. Lift from oil with tongs and drain on paper towels. Serve immediately.
These are soooo bad for you but they are soooo good!
Enjoy!
(Sorry I don't have a picture for this one...they're too good to take a picture break lol!)



No comments:
Post a Comment