A few weeks back Angie and I hit up Crazy Girl Yarn Shop in Iowa City. I found some amazing yarn that I bought just because I loved the colors and it was so soft. In 6 hours the Malabrigo Rasta yarn went from 2 hanks to a beautiful new scarf-which will most likely end up being a Christmas gift for someone.
I also found this amazing pink and gray super soft yarn that was kind of thin for me but I bought 3 hanks because Angie insisted and I really loved the yarn. I didn't have a clue what I was going to do with it-not normal for me, I usually have a project in mind-but thought three hanks was a good amount to start with. I spent nearly two hours looking through crochet patterns online and stumbled across this one. My yarn is not fuzzy like the one this lady used, but I thought this pattern would be perfect. So I got to work. The yarn is thin so I knew I'd probably end up making a shawl or fashion scarf of some kind and this pattern really is working out great. It's a bit tedious, and it's repetitive. So it's easy, but it also makes my hands hurt because there isn't much to hold onto like there is with thicker yarns. (Btw...my new favorite website is www.yarn.com trust me if you like to crochet or knit this site will become your new addiction.)
I've made some plain jane scarves and baby blankets in my day, but I've never made anything bigger or more difficult. I attempted a large afghan in high school and quickly figured out that crocheting a large afghan is very time consuming. I quit that project and don't have any plans to return to it. I did however find some fun yarn while I was in AZ last August and have since ordered a lot more from yarn.com because I decided to make Evan a twin-sized blanket. started it back in January-I think-and have managed to get about 1/4 of it done. Doing a big blanket is expensive! I'd never thought about just how much yarn goes into a larger afghan, but let me tell you Evan better love this blanket because I don't know that I'll ever be making him another one! =P I am however already on the hunt for some fun yarn to make a larger afghan for Andrew. I made him a baby blanket when he was born-even worked on it in the hospital-but he out-grew that blanket quite some time ago! I've been taking progression pics to kind of see how the blanket is coming along, but I don't know that I'm going to post them until the blanket is done.
Those are my only ongoing projects right now, but I'm sure I'll have more since I've ordered some other fun new yarns from yarn.com in the last couple of weeks. I guess I do already have another scarf to make for a Christmas gift-I have the yarn, I just need to sit down and do it!



No comments:
Post a Comment