Sunday, May 23, 2010

Cloth Diapering

It's official, we are now a cloth diapering family. After trying about four different kinds of diapers on Evan's incredibly sensitive butt, I finally decided to just do cloth. It's so much easier now than it used to be. And even the disposables that were supposed to be better for sensitive skin weren't keeping the rashes away. We've been doing cloth for about two weeks now and I have to admit that it is much easier than I ever thought.

We're using the organic Flip style by Bum Genius...that probably means nothing to people who don't know anything about cloth diapering, but I'll give a quick explanation. They are kind of like the "old school" cloth diapers but with a twist. The cover looks like most other cloth diapers, and has a waterproof liner built in. The insert, or absorber, is a tri-fold super absorbent 100% cotton fabric. They are a one-size diaper, so there are snaps on the outside of the diaper to adjust to 3 different sizes. And they have a snap closure, so no velcro to worry about like some cloth diapers. You can see the different options and learn a little more about the Flips here. But I'm starting to look into a different diaper style for Evan because he pees so much.

Since we switched to cloth, Evan hasn't had any kind of rash, bump, or red mark. In fact his butt has never looked so perfect! We still use disposable overnight diapers because the cloth just aren't absorbent enough, no matter now many other liners we use. I did get a few hemp inserts that are supposed to be for heavy wetters and to get through the night (when used with the cotton liner). I use them during the day and Evan can barely go more than two hours without needing a change. So I'm not brave enough to try cloth at night too.

Never in my life did I ever think that I'd be cloth diapering my kids, let alone actually liking doing cloth! I promise to post some pics of the boys with their "fluffy" bums!

No comments:

Post a Comment